Thursday 29 March 2018

Linh Phuoc Pagoda -near Da Lat

After our discovery of the Pagoda per favor of Wendy Woo I decided to search the net to see if I could find out some more information. Thank goodness for the net. It was built between 1949 and 1952 apparently from the design by a 5th Century Buddhist Monk. It features the dragon prominently throughout the decoration. Some of these I noticed in passing and some I captured on camera. This was almost accidental as the site was intensely developed and and quite overwhelming to take in in a 45 minute visit. At first the descriptions on the internet sites were deceptive because they focussed on one building only. Then I discovered that the temple was fully renovated in 1990 by a benefactor and new buildings added. The original temple is covered in mosaic made from broken bottles but the newer buildings seem to use modern ceramics. The dragon statue in the garden, built from bottles didn't rate for my screen shots.
There is now a museum as well  with ornately carved and marble and inlaid wooden furnishings. The Bell tower, highest in Asia also displays a stature of the Lady Buddha which is covered in artificial flowers. This is the only Lady Buddha I have seen and I tried hard to capture her in the camera but the light was all wrong and she is hiding. There are also many statues of the Laughing Buddha which are more modern I think.
I will put the photos on a separate post. 

No comments:

Post a Comment